Sunday, March 21, 2010

Stencils Idea 1 with stitching and fabric



Today's idea will go with tomorrow's. All of my samples for the week are now sewn together as pages in a fabric book. The line you see going from top to bottom is stitching to hold the book together. I did all my pages before sewing the book together. Start by placing an Olivia stencil on top of a piece of fabric. Since I was going to be spraying the right side, I placed a piece of heavy paper over the left hand side next. After that, I sprayed all around the stencil with spray ink. I used Adirondack spray. Of course, some of the spray got on the stencil, but I just let it sit and dry rather than washing it off. That turned out to be a good thing. You can see why tomorrow. Carefully lift the stencil so you do not smear the ink. You can allow it to just sit, if you like, until it is dry. I lifted mine, smeared it around on a piece of scrap paper and saved it for the project that will post tomorrow. You can speed up the drying time if you use a blow dryer or heat gun to dry your ink. Next, stitch lines across the space of your fabric that did not receive any ink. These lines can be used to write on. I didn't write on mine before I took the photo, because I was hoping you would see the detail of the lines better. I also sewed between the green lines you see here with the longest stitch possible, then removed the stitching and it sort of looks like primary school paper with the little dots between the lines, I think. Afterward, embellish to your heart's content. I added a piece of twill ribbon on the top, handpainted canvas scraps from my book cover and photo. If you would like to buy any of these stencils, you can get them in my daughter Jeane's etsy shop.

1 comment: