Saturday, September 1, 2012

My First Prayer Flag

Just in case you have never heard of a prayer flag, my understanding about them is that these flags are really just to send your wishes out into the world. Artists who make them often hang them in the breeze to send out their thoughts and ideas. I will be attending An Artful Journey Retreat in late February/early March of next year, and we have been given the option to bring one along. Collected ones there will be given to lucky winners at the retreat. (fingers crossed)
Well, since I had been admiring the ones from Jane LaFazio's Prayer Flag Project that she took over, and had really wanted to try one out, it all added up, and I finally made one. There are many wonderful examples there, if you want to see more.
I wanted to keep mine simple and straightforward. The reason I chose this theme besides the fact that I am hopelessly addicted to heart shapes in my art is that when I thought about what I could send out into the world, all this just added up.
I made it from a piece of a curtain from my daughter's house. The curtains were there when she moved in, and I was making the new curtains. I was overjoyed when she said this one had to go, because I saw the potential for something else in it. It was just a matter of time.
I used a little faux quilting technique that I show in some of my classes, so it was easy and simple for me to do. I love hand embroidery, especially French knots which was I able to include along the border of the heart. It went along with me on a recent trip so I could work on it. Those of you who know me, know I cannot sit still very long if I don't have something in my hands!  It has been to 5 states already, in my suitcase. There's just one more stop on its tour before it may take flight again to its new home. I hope the new owner LOVES it as much as I did making it. I have a sneaking suspicion that there are going to be more.

3 comments:

  1. http://theprayerflagproject.blogspot.com/ thanks Jane Eileen! please link to the prayer flag project so your readers will join in too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh! I just saw that you did! it didn't show up at first. thanks!!

    ReplyDelete