Sunday, December 4, 2011

My name is Jane, and I am a scrapaholic.


I noticed a while back that there is a recurring theme in most of my work; most of it is made with scraps. For a while, I tried to steer away from the scraps and actually use more of what I have here in the studio/warehouse, but I have changed my mind. I have decided to embrace it, even though it is a blessing and a bit of a problem. The bit of a problem is that I find it difficult to throw anything away since I might need it when I get all my scraps together to create. The blessing is that the things I make from scraps are the ones I love the most.
In the middle of trying to be retired, I have been volunteering, working a few days and trying to squeeze in some creative time as well as spend a little time working on the business part of my creating, so I haven't had a lot to show, yet, but these are finally done after working on them in stages since midsummer. Each is about 4x6" and has over 75 pages of random paper inside, just right for carrying in a purse. Each one also has two secret pockets in the construction, made for carrying other papers, pens, whatever one might need with their little book/journal. They are made from leftover canvas, nearly empty bottles of paint that were washed out for the project and leftover pieces of everything else in the scrap collection tub on my sewing table; quilt scraps, fabric remnants, doily bits, ribbons, buttons, doodads and whatnots. The top two are my favorites and also have some painted fabric and papers that I collaged together for another project. Yep, I have a feeling that scrappy chic isn't going away anytime soon.

5 comments:

  1. I've been wondering what you've been up to. I love these and went to your Etsy shop to see if you're selling them, but sadly, no. They're so cool and SCRAPPY! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Laurie. I might have them there in a few days, if things go according to plan. Otherwise they will be at AU. I have been busy on a variety of projects but most of them are under wraps for a while longer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your work, your scrappy fabric goodies, and of course, the fabric journals I have!! Enjoy your creative holidays! Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!!! Very very cool. Have to admit, I love the scraps as well. And, I really really love making itty bitty books!

    ReplyDelete
  5. are you selling these?!@ am SO in love!!

    ReplyDelete